Friday, July 12, 2013

Finding a balance - privacy/honesty

This morning, I thought I'd share some pictures with the few people who may be reading this blog.  Then I wondered about how much I should share.  I'm not sure how "out there" I want to be.  It makes me wonder why I'm blogging in the first place.  How much do I want to share?  Clearly, I want to share at some level or I'd just be writing a journal instead of a blog.  When I started this meager attempt a few years ago, the hope was that other pastors' husbands would want to communicate/commiserate about our unusual place in the Church.  That hasn't happened, but it's no big deal.

Still, I am not sure how much to share.  I want to be honest about the joys and struggles of our life in parish ministry, but I don't want to share too much.  Inevitably, I'll end up sharing something about parishioners that touches on confidentiality in some way.  I don't want to embarrass anyone, even if the embarrassment comes from their bad behavior.  And I don't want to share the details of anyone's life without their permission.  So if our parishioners start reading the blog, things could get awkward.  I want to be as honest as possible about what's going on in our lives, so being anonymous is a tremendous help.  I have probably left enough clues that a determined person could easily figure out who and where we are, and I'm accepting the fact that there is no real privacy online.

With that said, here are some pictures.  For now, I'm leaving out pictures of the church signs that say, "Welcome Pastor ", but I hate that, because I find it kind and sincere.  I will try to take some pictures of the countryside this weekend.  It's a beautiful area.





No comments:

Post a Comment